Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Snow

There's something magical about snow.

I have been around snow for years and I was thinking just now that I have no explanation as to why snow makes people so stoked. Maybe it's the fact that it's rare and only shows up a few times per year but I don't think that's enough of an explanation. People get REALLY stoked and I don't think they wouldn't get that stoked on something just cause it's kinda rare. Maybe it's the way it feels and that you can make things out of it? Everyone enjoys creating things so that could be it? I don't know I'm just throwing things out there and typing while thinking to be honest. Either way my point is that snow is awesome and it agrees with the lens of a camera like nothing else.The shadows created by untouched snow or the contrast of the absence of light inside footprints or ski tracks; The way that fresh snow on the trees can make a mountain look 10 times bigger than usual. I love how after it snows the world looks different entirely and after you think that you've shot every angle of an area snow can turn it into a whole new thing. I went up grouse for the first time a few days ago and took some pictures. It felt like I was relapsing on a drug or something. I immediately was a bagillion times more stoked on shooting and the epicness that this season should bring. Oh and I got a Canon 7D and I'll be shooting video in case I haven't already told you. STOKED! So ya here's the pictures that got me so stoked on snow and mountains and winter and skiing. Expect better but I'm also kinda digging these ones.

And here's the first video with the 7D. It was just a fun little thing, not meant to be good or anything but the good videos will come soon.

First Day at Grouse/First 7D clip from Bill Hawley on Vimeo.


Oh and Check out snowshoevancouver if you want to see some cool photos or you want to go do a snowshoe tour in vancouver at any point. The guy who runs it (Brent Loewen) is a super nice guy and I'm sure he'll make every tour awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment